Re: [Condor-devel] how to merge manual

On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 09:44:05AM -0500, Dan Bradley wrote:

> The case I am thinking of is a src + doc change to V7_6-branch.  Is
> there a way to merge that into V7_7_0-doc branch without also
> merging the src change?

You can with the git plumbing commands, but not with the git interface that one
is "expected" to use.

But this is poor discipline.  If it is a src + doc change to V7_6-branch, where
the documentation is describing the change in src, there is no need to put the
documentation change in V7_7_0-doc-branch, as the corresponding src change will
not be going into 7.7.0, which is frozen.  On the other hand, if it is a src
change, and a doc change where the developer is saying "Well, I need to do
documentation", and slapping it in a commit with irrelevant src changes, it
should really be a reviewer that says, "These changes do not go together. why
don't you split them up, and put the doc change on V7_7_0-doc-branch, where it
belongs."

Nathan Panike