[Condor-devel] how to merge manual

Hello,

Karen and I talked about how to merge doc changes. We came to the conclusion that the way we merge src must change a little bit. Maybe this is what everyone already agreed to, but I know that my own thinking was still a little cloudy on the specifics.

Consider the following branches:

master
V7_7_0-branch (recently released)
V7_6-branch

A change to the V7_6-branch manual would normally be merged through V7_7_0-branch and then to master. Even though the binaries for 7.7.0 have already been released, updates to the docs keep getting re-released. Normally, we stop merging src changes through a release branch as soon as it has been released, but from now on, we must continue to merge src changes through the most recent release branch, because we must follow the same merge path as for doc.

If we bypass this step, when Karen merges doc changes through the recent release branch, she will be merging src changes, which could result in her having to resolve conflicts in the src, and then those resolutions could end up causing trouble when merged forward from that branch to the master.

--Dan