Re: [Condor-devel] how to merge manual

On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 06:00:31PM -0500, Dan Bradley wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Karen and I talked about how to merge doc changes.  We came to the
> conclusion that the way we merge src must change a little bit. Maybe
> this is what everyone already agreed to, but I know that my own
> thinking was still a little cloudy on the specifics.
>
> Consider the following branches:
>
> master
> V7_7_0-branch (recently released)
> V7_6-branch
>
> A change to the V7_6-branch manual would normally be merged through
> V7_7_0-branch and then to master.  Even though the binaries for
> 7.7.0 have already been released, updates to the docs keep getting
> re-released.  Normally, we stop merging src changes through a
> release branch as soon as it has been released, but from now on, we
> must continue to merge src changes through the most recent release
> branch, because we must follow the same merge path as for doc.
>
> If we bypass this step, when Karen merges doc changes through the
> recent release branch, she will be merging src changes, which could
> result in her having to resolve conflicts in the src, and then those
> resolutions could end up causing trouble when merged forward from
> that branch to the master.

This could be handled by forking a branch (say, V7_7_0-doc-branch) from V7_7_0
to handle post-release documentation changes, with changes going through Karen,
who can give the appropriate "Thanks for documenting this; I am disappointed
you are late in documenting the feature" speech. And we could enforce the "$5
contribution to the pizza fund" policy that is documented on the wiki.