Re: [Condor-devel] how to merge manual

On 8/1/2011 7:11 PM, Nathan Panike wrote:

This could be handled by forking a branch (say, V7_7_0-doc-branch) from V7_7_0
to handle post-release documentation changes, with changes going through Karen,
who can give the appropriate "Thanks for documenting this; I am disappointed
you are late in documenting the feature" speech. And we could enforce the "$5
contribution to the pizza fund" policy that is documented on the wiki.

If I understand that what you are suggesting, it would be a very bad
idea indeed.  It means that our project would have documentation
that sucked worse over time.

Since y'all wish the source and manual to be in a single repository,
you have to do exactly what I stated (when discussing the single
repo option):
  1. do the appropriate merges in the order that I say
  2. allow manual documentation to continue for a release, even
     after the release
     OR
     delay any/all releases until the documentation is DONE (meaning
     that I approve it as completed)

Of course, the right thing to do is to create a set of rules and
a culture that restores documentation to its first class citizen
status.  Recall that no one can use a great new feature if there's
no documentation for it!

Karen