Re: [Condor-devel] how to merge manual

On 8/1/11 6:13 PM, Erik Erlandson wrote:
If we bypass this step, when Karen merges doc changes through the recent
release branch, she will be merging src changes, which could result in
her having to resolve conflicts in the src, and then those resolutions
could end up causing trouble when merged forward from that branch to the
master.

Would it be consistent to adopt a policy of "wranglers make the call to
backport to release branches", applied to both src and doc equally?

I know we had some discussion about that versus "merge through release
branch," but I wonder if adding doc into the mix gives additional
utility to a backport-based policy.

That aside, the logic for merging through release makes sense from a
conflict-avoidance perspective.  If doc is merging through a branch, src
needs to as well.

The one thing that has me worried about the merge-through procedure is that it may create awkward moments during code freezes. That argues in favor of your suggested backporting procedure in place of the merge-through procedure.

--Dan