Re: [Condor-devel] how to merge manual

On 8/2/11 9:23 AM, Nathan Panike wrote:
On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 08:54:47AM -0500, Dan Bradley wrote:

On 8/1/11 10:47 PM, Nathan Panike wrote:
On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 09:53:30PM -0500, Karen Miller wrote:
Nathan,
I re-read your message, and I think that your solution of creating
a new branch for changes (like to 7.7.0) post-release is one that
Dan and I discussed.  The difficulty is that it doesn't solve
the problem, which is that changes placed onto (for this example)
V7_6-branch (stable) in the manual get merged into this
new branch, ...
Hi Karen:

I was envisaging that only changes in doc/ would be merged post-release. That
was the point of calling it, say, V7_7_0-doc-branch, to keep a reminder that it
was only for documentation changes. Changes to src/ would bypass this
doc-branch completely.
How do you merge only doc changes into the doc branch?
Simple answer is By fiat:  if a commit touches anything besides the doc/ tree,
builder.sh, release.nix, or soar/, then it is by definition not a doc commit,
and hence should not be merged into the doc branch.  (not sure what all of
those have to do with documentation, but that was what was in the CONDOR_DOC
repo)

Better answer is: For concreteness, If A-branch is merged into B-branch, and
there is a pure doc/ change---as described above---in A-branch, then only
changes in doc/ get merged forward to B-branch. We should probably talk about
this in front of a whiteboard, because you are probably imagining a case I am
failing to think of.

The case I am thinking of is a src + doc change to V7_6-branch. Is there a way to merge that into V7_7_0-doc branch without also merging the src change?

--Dan