Re: [Condor-devel] how to merge manual

On 8/2/11 10:10 AM, Nathan Panike wrote:
On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 09:44:05AM -0500, Dan Bradley wrote:
The case I am thinking of is a src + doc change to V7_6-branch.  Is
there a way to merge that into V7_7_0-doc branch without also
merging the src change?

You can with the git plumbing commands, but not with the git interface that one
is "expected" to use.

But this is poor discipline.  If it is a src + doc change to V7_6-branch, where
the documentation is describing the change in src, there is no need to put the
documentation change in V7_7_0-doc-branch, as the corresponding src change will
not be going into 7.7.0, which is frozen.

Makes sense.

I suppose we would have to be careful if release schedules of stable and devel are not in sync. Sometimes we release a devel release that contains some but not all src changes from a stable release (because that stable release is still under development) However, the merge path for delayed updates to the stable docs in this case is awkward to do correctly even with completely separate doc and src repositories. I think those cases would have to be handled with cherry picking.

--Dan