Re: [Gems-users] Ruby_cycles varying in a wide range

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 11:54:37 -0600
From: "Dan Gibson" <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Ruby_cycles varying in a wide range
Looking at Notary, there seems to be more variance at coarser granularities of conflict detection (e.g. smaller signatures).

Its good to have your observation of determinism with 2.2.19. This is something we're looking into internally -- so far it seems to be limited to 3.x+.

Our usual strategy is to automatically set random_seed from time(NULL) or some other source, then run as many runs as we need to achieve believable error bars. I don't use the STAMP workloads myself, so I cannot tell you how many runs that might actually be.

Regards,
Dan