Re: [Gems-users] Ruby_cycles varying in a wide range

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:47:43 -0600
From: "Dan Gibson" <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Ruby_cycles varying in a wide range
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Ricardo Quislant del Barrio <quislant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes, it is. You have published some results that haven't got that
variability I'm experiencing.

I have not published any results on Labyrinth. Those folks that have typically run multiple runs to get rid of variance due to timing-sensitive paths, and then report 95% confidence intervals. Timing variance is known to change entire execution paths inside of benchmarks that are sensitive to it. That is why I am wondering: Is Labyrinth deterministic? As in, does the result of the Labyrinth benchmark change under different coherence/transactional timing?

Should I set "random_seed" in "config.py" to a value different than None?

Thanks,
  Ricardo.