Re: [Gems-users] Ruby_cycles varying in a wide range

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:01:38 -0600
From: "Dan Gibson" <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Ruby_cycles varying in a wide range
Ricardo,

Some users have reported nondeterminism /within Simics/, which is rather problematic for this kind of work. We use Simics 2.2.19 and 2.0.23 (depending on who you talk to) internally, and we do not see any nondeterminism in Simics. You should try one of those versions if you're not already doing so. Thus, we run multiple runs with different random seeds for Ruby, and use those for our 95% confidence intervals.

Is Labyrinth the only workload for which this occurs? It seems that there are other STAMP workloads that suffer even more from wide variance, after a cursory glance at Notary. Furthermore, your configuration variables would be useful (not so much to me, but to others on the list).

Regards,
Dan