Re: [Gems-users] Ruby_cycles varying in a wide range

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 10:02:23 +0100
From: Ricardo Quislant del Barrio <quislant@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Ruby_cycles varying in a wide range
Hi Dan,
where I wrote "You have published" I meant people from Mark Hill's group as in the paper "Notary: Hardware Techniques to Enhance Signatures", Micro '08. In that paper you can see results on Labyrinth benchmark with none or little variance. So, I guess Labyrinth is a deterministic benchmark.
Then, why do I get this variance on ruby cycles (sometimes 3x)?
Should I set the "random_seed" to get Ruby deterministic and then run multiple runs to get rid of variance in Simics? Could setting "random_seed" to None lead to such a variability?

Thanks a lot,
Ricardo.

   On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Ricardo Quislant del Barrio