Re: [DynInst_API:] Please review coverity-driven fixes

Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 11:20:28 -0800 (PST)
From: Matthew LeGendre <legendre1@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [DynInst_API:] Please review coverity-driven fixes

I took a walk through the ProcControlAPI/StackwalkerAPI fixes and didn't see any issues.

-Matt

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013, Bill Williams wrote:
On 12/13/2013 08:41 PM, Josh Stone wrote:
Hi,

I have published a batch of fixes for issues reported by Coverity:
https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=dyninstfans.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/jistone/coverity

I'd like to get these in before I disappear for the holiday, though I
may have already missed you reviewers departing. :)

Nope, I'm around all week and then out for the next two.

The bulk of these fixes are for UNINIT_CTOR, i.e. POD-typed members that
are not initialized in the constructor or its callees.  There are a few
other logic errors fixed too, and a few things that just needed syntax
tweaks to avoiding getting flagged as a possible issue.

There's nothing too scary, I think.  I'd like to push this early next
week if there's no review blocker.

Notes:

* Symtab's Object copy constructor: pretty sure it should copy all the fields if it's going to exist. The secondary point, of course, is that all Symtabs/Objects/AObjects should be reference counted and (in principle) should never be copied, so the more accurate fix is to replace them with private versions etc. * The linux_kludges assorted fixes look much simpler and cleaner, which is great, but I also have to ask if these are still needed/used anywhere (or if it's safe to replace them with POSIX equivalents in some cases). As a general rule, things in common that are not actually domain-specific are things that we'd like to get rid of but (at the time we wrote them) there wasn't a sufficiently cross-platform alternative. (See also: pdvector. The cruft goes a long way back here.) * Not 100% positive that all of the fallthroughs that you left as fallthrough are non-bugs, but in the worst case they're not making behavior any worse. I'll review those in more detail this afternoon and see if I find anything that needs fixing.

Thanks,
Josh

--bw

Bill Williams