Re: [theory students] Theory lunch tomorrow

Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 03:30:23 +0000
From: YIFENG TENG <yifengt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [theory students] Theory lunch tomorrow
Hi all,

We will have theory lunch tomorrow at noon in CS 4310. We are going to watch the TCS+ talk by Jason Li from CMU on "The Karger-Stein Algorithm is Optimal for k-cut." Bring your lunch, and see you there!

Here is the spreadsheet for this semester:
Students are encouraged to sign up to give an (informal) talk. Also, professors are certainly welcome to add a note if free food will be provided.

Below is the abstract of tomorrow's talk.

Abstract:
In the $k$-cut problem, we are given an edge-weighted graph and want to find the least-weight set of edges whose deletion breaks the graph into $k$ connected components. Algorithms due to Karger-Stein and Thorup showed how to find such a minimum $k$-cut in time approximately $O(n^{2k-2})$. The best lower bounds come from conjectures about the solvability of the $k$-clique problem and a reduction from $k$-clique to $k$-cut, and show that solving $k$-cut is likely to require time $\Omega(n^k)$. Our recent results have given special-purpose algorithms that solve the problem in time $n^{1.98k + O(1)}$, and ones that have better performance for special classes of graphs (e.g., for small integer weights).
In this work, we resolve the problem for general graphs, by showing that for any fixed $k \geq 2$, the Karger-Stein algorithm outputs any fixed minimum $k$-cut with probability at least $\widehat{O}(n^{-k})$, where $\widehat{O}(\cdot)$ hides a $2^{O(\ln \ln n)^2}$ factor. This also gives an extremal bound of $\widehat{O}(n^k)$ on the number of minimum $k$-cuts in an $n$-vertex graph and an algorithm to compute a minimum $k$-cut in similar runtime. Both are tight up to $\widehat{O}(1)$ factors.
The first main ingredient in our result is a fine-grained analysis of how the graph shrinks---and how the average degree evolves---under the Karger-Stein process. The second ingredient is an extremal result bounding the number of cuts of size at most $(2-\delta) OPT/k$, using the Sunflower lemma.

Best,
Yifeng