[pl-seminar] FW: faculty search in security at Tufts

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 02:15:49 +0000
From: Thomas Reps <reps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] FW: faculty search in security at Tufts

Hi,

I received the message below from Susan Landau, who is now at Tufts, saying that Tufts is conducting a search in security at the assistant or associate level, with particular interest in network security and/or applied cryptography.  She writes,

I'm split between the Computer Science Department (School of Engineering) and The Fletcher School in Law and Diplomacy, building a program in cyber security and policy. I've been here since 2017 and I am quite pleased with my choice: excited and strong undergraduates, a dynamic and research-oriented faculty in computer science, and a strong interdisciplinary focus. Tufts would be a really attractive place for the right person; it's got a great mix of interesting people, excellent research, ability to collaborate easily, access to Boston schools, strong undergraduates, and an increasingly strong graduate pool.

Specifically:

o Supportive engineering dean with faculty expansion occurring (one opening this year, more in future, over the last two years we hired four tenure-track and four teaching track faculty).

o The teaching load is 1-1, and there is allocated staff support for advising.

o We are building connectionsâresearch, teachingâacross schools within Tufts. Last year the Fletcher School in Law and Diplomacy hired Josephine Wolff; with my position bridging between the two schools, this creates a rich and interesting environment for all sorts of cross-disciplinary work. We've also just announced an interdisciplinary MS in Cybersecurity and Public Policy that will start next fall.

o A big deal for meâand potentially for many people in securityâis that interdisciplinary work is highly valued. It's notable that the CS department has two bridge professorships; this is person split across two departments (indeed tenured in both). There are multiple cross department collaborations. This is a place very supportive of interdisciplinary work.

o Boston is a great location, with lots of stimulating cs and other intellectual (and non-intellectual) stuff around. Tufts is a short walk to the Red Line, with close proximity to Harvard, Kennedy School, Harvard Law, MIT.

o The CS Department is collegial and with a strong sense of community; it has a growing graduate program and increased funding levels.

o Excellent, fun undergraduates; good graduate students.

o We're on a fast track for a new building; groundbreaking started in June, and the building will be ready by fall 2021 (and will be right next to a new "T"âsubwayâstop!).

Ad is here: https://apply.interfolio.com/66978. Please share. Thanks loads.

Best,

Susan

ââ

Susan Landau

Bridge Professor in Cyber Security and Policy

Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy and School of Engineering, Department of Computer Science

160 Packard Ave.

Tufts University

Medford, Massachusetts 02155

www.privacyink.org