[pl-seminar] SAS practice

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 19:11:52 +0000
From: Qinheping HU <qhu28@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] SAS practice
Hi everyone,

I am going to give a practice talk at 1 pm tomorrow in cs 4310.
Title: Direct Manipulation for Imperative Program
Abstract:
Direct manipulation is a programming paradigm in which the programmer conveys the intended program behavior by modifying program values at runtime. The programming environment then finds amodification of the original program that yields the manipulated values. In this paper, we propose the first framework for direct manipulationof imperative programs. First, we introduce direct state manipulation, which allows programmers to visualize the trace of a buggy program on an input, and modify variable values at a location. Second, we propose a synthesis technique based on program sketching and quantitative objectives to efficiently find the “closest” program to the original one that is consistent with the manipulated values. We formalize the problem andbuild a toolJDialbased on theSketchsynthesizer. We investigate the effectiveness of direct manipulation by using JDial to fix bench-marks from introductory programming assignments. In our evaluation, we observe that direct state manipulations are an effective specification mechanism: even when provided with a single state manipulation,JDial can produce desired program modifications for 66% of our benchmarks while techniques based only on test cases always fail.

Best,
Qinheping Hu