Summer internships at WRL

Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 20:08:52 -0600 (CST)
From: Gurindar Sohi <sohi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Summer internships at WRL

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 17:39:08 -0800 (PST)
From: Norm Jouppi <jouppi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Summer internship opportunities at Compaq WRL
Apparently-To: <sohi@xxxxxxxxxxx>

- --------

Dear Guri:

I just wanted to make sure that the students in your department knew
about our summer internship program.  Thanks in advance for forwarding
this on to any bulletin boards or directly to any potential candidates!

Norm

                             SUMMER, 2000,
                    INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES AT WRL

                      Western Research Laboratory
                      Compaq Computer Corporation
                          250 University Ave.
                          Palo Alto, CA 94301

The Western Research Laboratory is a computer systems research group
that was founded in 1982.  At present we have 19 full-time
researchers.  Our goal is to develop new hardware and software
technology that may lead to either new business opportunities for
Compaq or improvements to Compaq's existing products.  We test our
ideas by designing, building and using real systems. Examples of lab
projects that you may have heard of include the Itsy Pocket Computer,
Shasta: a software-only shared-memory system, the AltaVista web search
engine, and the ATOM program instrumentation system.

Every summer WRL employs several graduate students on projects related
to our research efforts.  We are now accepting applications for
positions during the upcoming summer (2000).  The positions usually
involve work that is of use to the full-time researchers and of a
scope that can reasonably be completed during the summer months.

To qualify, a student should be enrolled in a PhD program, although
exceptional Masters students will also be considered. While the
starting and ending times for these jobs are flexible and will depend
on a student's individual schedule, individuals will typically be
expected to spend three months at WRL.

WRL is located in the heart of cosmopolitan downtown Palo Alto, within
walking distance of a variety of restaurants and shops, and next to
the Stanford University campus. Palo Alto is situated 30 miles south
of San Francisco in the heart of Silicon Valley.

On-going research at WRL spans a large number of areas; a partial list
of these areas follows.

  Enterprise Servers and Systems
  - Operating systems
  - Network, system, and Internet performance
  - Scalable shared-memory and cluster systems
  - Single-chip, scalable multiprocessors

  Pocket and Wearable Computing
  - Energy management
  - Small, low-power devices
  - Speech recognition and user interfaces
  - Wireless technology

  Novel Uses of Technology
  - Applications for the wired world
  - Augmented memory
  - Mutually-immersive mobile telepresence

The above list is not necessarily complete and we encourage excellent
students interested in related areas to apply.  Please see
http://www.research.compaq.com/wrl or e-mail
wrl-interns-coordinator@xxxxxxxxxx for more information about our lab.

HOW TO APPLY

1. E-mail your resume to wrl-interns-coordinator@xxxxxxxxxx with
   "INTERN RESUME" in the subject line.  Please ensure that your resume
   is in plain ASCII, not PostScript, and includes the names and e-mail
   addresses of three technical references.  It will be helpful if your
   message specifies the two or three research areas listed above that
   you are most interested in.  You are also encouraged to provide URLs
   to related information and/or to Postscript copies of your resume.

2. Arrange to have each of your references send a letter of
   recommendation to wrl-interns-coordinator@xxxxxxxxxx with "INTERN
   RECOMMENDATION" in the subject line.  ASCII is preferred, but
   PostScript is acceptable too.  It is your responsibility to ensure
   that the letters are sent to us; WRL will not contact your references
   for you. For full consideration, your resume and recommendation
   letters must be received by February 11, 2000.  We expect decisions
   will be made on or before March 31, 2000.

------- End of Forwarded Message