Re: [HTCondor-devel] Considering moving design docs to Google Drive

Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 11:20:28 -0500
From: Todd Tannenbaum <tannenba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-devel] Considering moving design docs to Google Drive
On 6/21/2013 11:10 AM, Todd L Miller wrote:
You mention the major downside in the proposal: You become reliant on
Google... i.e. you do not own the complete history anymore.

I think it is dangerous; you now get two possible point of failures.

     So one advantage of the shared-folder approach is that it should be
very easy to download (via screen-scraping, if necessary) the design
documents on a regular basis for backup purposes.

If we go the Google Drive route, we WILL have a person at UW who will regularly export (Google has a decent export to .doc capability last I looked, is this still true?) our design docs out of Google and archive them on AFS here in the CS department alongside the backups of the htcondor-wiki database.

I agree with Igor, we cannot have all the wisdom of the design docs in one basket or left up to Google's business whims. But I think a local backup archive would sufficiently mitigate this possibility.

-Todd