Re: [Condor-devel] Condor 7.6.1 timeline?

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 14:04 -0500, Brian Bockelman wrote:
What's the timeline for the 7.6.1 release (I believe Todd promised at Condor week that development timelines would be posted to this list)?

I ask because we just got hit by a real nasty negotiator starvation issue that locally allowed one user group to starve everyone else locally:

https://condor-wiki.cs.wisc.edu/index.cgi/tktview?tn=2176

Hi Brian,

Declaring static quotas larger than the quota available to the parent (which is what tkt #2176 configuration does, as you correctly describe) is somewhat of a no-no, although it will do its best by rescaling (with a warning).

Part of the issue is that quotas are by necessity assigned prior to the redistribution of surplus.   The logic of mixed static and dynamic quotas requires that static quotas are serviced first, which is why you ended up with zero quota left for group cms.other.  Quota surplus is then shared in proportion to quota for nonzero quotas (with any remaining given to zero quotas equally).  Therefore cms.prod, with nonzero quota, gets all the surplus, and so cms.other gets none.

Given the dynamic nature of slot availability on a condor pool, I tend to recommend that static quotas are not used at all, unless there are compelling reasons to use them.   When they are used, they should ideally be declared small enough that a dip in reporting slots does not cause a static quota to become larger than the quota available to its parent.
--Erik