[Gems-users] Some Problems about the MOESI_directory cache coherence protocol

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:22:10 -0400
From: sheng ma <mashnudt@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Some Problems about the MOESI_directory cache coherence protocol
Hi, I am a newer to the GEMS simulator. I am interested in the MOESI_directory cache coherence protocol. I have several questions about the implementation codes.
1. When I reading the MOESI_directory-cache.sm file, I noticed there are some words like "GetX", "GetS" and "PUT", and I am wondering what is the particular meaning of these words?
"GETS" = "GET shared"?? "GETX" = "GET exclusived"?? I am not sure about it, especially what is the particular meaning of "PUT"?
2. Because I am not very familiar with the MOESI_directory protocol, I want to know which kind of message will be sent to multiple destinations? I know the invalidate message maybe needed to send to multiple destinations. But I am not sure whether there are still other message types need to send to multiple destinations?
3. Whether the invalidation message are always forwarded by the directory node?

Thank you!