Re: [Gems-users] Some Problems about the MOESI_directory cache coherence protocol

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 14:29:53 -0400
From: sheng ma <mashnudt@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Some Problems about the MOESI_directory cache coherence protocol
Thank you. Nilay, your information is very useful.

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Nilay Vaish <nilay@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, sheng ma wrote:

Hi, I am a newer to the GEMS simulator. I am interested in the
MOESI_directory cache coherence protocol. I have several questions about the
implementation codes.
1. When I reading the MOESI_directory-cache.sm file, I noticed there are
some words like "GetX", "GetS" and "PUT", and I am wondering what is the
particular meaning of these words?
"GETS" = "GET shared"?? "GETX" = "GET exclusived"?? I am not sure about it,
especially what is the particular meaning of "PUT"?
2. Because I am not very familiar with the MOESI_directory protocol, I want
to know which kind of message will be sent to multiple destinations? I know
the invalidate message maybe needed to send to multiple destinations. But I
am not sure whether there are still other message types need to send to
multiple destinations?
3. Whether the invalidation message are always forwarded by the directory
node?

Thank you!

Coherence protocol implementations available in gem5 have been documented here --
http://gem5.org/Cache_Coherence_Protocols

--
Nilay