Re: [Gems-users] Network in Ruby

Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 16:06:46 -0500
From: Mike Marty <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Network in Ruby
Ju-Young Jung wrote:
> Hi, all.
> Hongxia, thanks for your previous response.
> I would like to ask several questions about network in ruby.
> My first question is : can I directly communicate among each
> controller's buffers without PerfectSwitch and Throttle in network?
> In order words, can each controller wakeup other controller as like
> normal enqueuing with wakeup, not going through PerfectSwitch or
> Throttle?
> If there is some critical problems, could you let me know it?
This is possible in theory. But SLICC lacks the syntax support to
directly enqueue a message to a MessageBuffer of some other controller.
> Another quick question is about virtual network. From previous thread
> (https://lists.cs.wisc.edu/archive/gems-users/2007-February/msg00000.shtml),
> I didn't get the concept of virtual net correctly. Can I hear some
> explanation of it?
> Thank you for your response in advance.
Virtual networks are used to avoid protocol deadlock. I believe virtual
networks might be discussed in a research paper titled "The Alpha 21364
Network Architecture"

--Mike