Re: [Gems-users] Network in Ruby

Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 09:44:59 +0800
From: "hongxia sun" <sunhx.seraph@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Network in Ruby
Hi Mike,

The message enqueued in SLICC will wakeup PerfectSwitch because they are put into the output port of the controller, and whose consumer is PerfectSwitch. If consumers of different controllers are set to its destinate controller, could message be transferred directly among controllers? Or in this way, it is difficult to set special consumers for each controllers' output ports?

Thank you!

Regards,
Hongxia SUN

2007/5/27, Mike Marty <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
Ju-Young Jung wrote:
> Hi, all.
> Hongxia, thanks for your previous response.
> I would like to ask several questions about network in ruby.
> My first question is : can I directly communicate among each
> controller's buffers without PerfectSwitch and Throttle in network?
> In order words, can each controller wakeup other controller as like
> normal enqueuing with wakeup, not going through PerfectSwitch or
> Throttle?
> If there is some critical problems, could you let me know it?
This is possible in theory. But SLICC lacks the syntax support to
directly enqueue a message to a MessageBuffer of some other controller.
> Another quick question is about virtual network. From previous thread
> ( https://lists.cs.wisc.edu/archive/gems-users/2007-February/msg00000.shtml),
> I didn't get the concept of virtual net correctly. Can I hear some
> explanation of it?
> Thank you for your response in advance.
Virtual networks are used to avoid protocol deadlock. I believe virtual
networks might be discussed in a research paper titled "The Alpha 21364
Network Architecture"

--Mike