Re: [Gems-users] Node number limitations?

Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 16:57:39 +0200 (CEST)
From: Enric Herrero <enricherrero@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Node number limitations?
Hi, Thank you for answering.

We use a 32 bit processor and despite setting the file to #define __32BITS__ is still not working.

We have also problems with the number of memories used and seems to be the same kind of problem. When we use 64 processors and we try to access node 55 it is going to node 23.

Desired node 55  -> 110111
Node accessed 23 -> 10111
As we see ruby seems to use less bits than the necessary for dealing with this number of memories. We have seen that in OptBigSet.C when the vectors are defined some masks are applied. Why are these masks applied?
We don't understand the sentence:

  // the number of populated spaces in the higest-order array slot is:
  // m_nSize % 32, so the uppermost 32 - m_nSize%32 bits should be
  // cleared

Is this related to our problem? And if it has relation it is possible to increase the number of bits used?

Thank you

/Marco and Enric

Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx> escribió:
Marco/Enric,
I think this is a known bug with the file OptBigSet.C, which implements bit vectors. With some compiler/platform combinations, the macros that OptBigSet.C uses are not properly set. The solution is relatively straightforward: Edit OptBigSet.C, and find the code that defines either __64BITS__ or __32BITS__, depending on your platform, and simply remove the #if condition that selects which marco is used. Thus, you might replace:
 #if __amd64__ || __LP64__
 #define __64BITS__
 #else
 #define __32BITS__
 #endif
with:
#define __32BITS__

You should also add a #define __32BITS__ to OptBigSet.h.

Regards,
Dan Gibson

Marco Tirado wrote:
Hello:

We are simulating a CMP system with Ruby. We have succesfully simulated the system with 32 processors. However after increasing the number of nodes in the Network topology file (this for a FILE_SPECIFIED network) we get the following error:

failed assertion 'msg_destinations.count() == 0' at fn
virtual void PerfectSwitch::wakeup() in
network/simple/PerfectSwitch.C:264

At first we were using 64 nodes in the network and it worked fine, we get the error when we increase the number of nodes to 96. Since this is the only parameter we have changed in the system, is there any GEMS limitation for the number of nodes or in the number of links ? Any help on this will be apreciated.

Marco and Enric