Re: [DynInst_API:] Status of Dyninst 10

Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2018 15:17:46 -0400
From: William Cohen <wcohen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [DynInst_API:] Status of Dyninst 10
On 05/11/2018 11:21 AM, Xiaozhu Meng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Dyninst 10 is going to be released before July. The current master branch on the github is close to Dyninst 10 in terms of API.
>
> One of the remaining task before releasing Dyninst 10 is integrating parallel parsing. The main interface change caused by this task is changing InstructionAPI::Instruction objects from passing by shared pointers to passing by values.
>
> Right now, you have
> InstructionAPI::Instruction::Ptr insn = decoder.decode();
> printf("Instruction %s\n", insn->format().c_str());
>
> In Dyninst 10, you will have
>
> InstructionAPI::Instruction insn = decoder.decode();
> printf("Instruction %s\n", insn.format().c_str());
>

> Other than this interface breaking change, there could be new interface added. For example, there is a pull request of adding instrumentation snippet for xor. There should also be new interface for specifying the number of threads to use for parallel parsing.Â
>
> In summary, Dyninst 10 will be significantly different from its previous version internally, but the interface will be quite compatible excluding the Instruction part.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Xiaozhu

Hi,

There is a tool, libabigail, to check ABI compatibility issues:

https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2014/10/23/comparing-abis-for-compatibility-with-libabigail-part-1/
https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2014/10/28/comparing-abis-for-compatibility-libabigail-part-2/
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_check_for_ABI_changes_with_abipkgdiff

Have there been checks of the dyninst shared libraries to make sure there are not other changes in the ABI?

So with this change to InstructionAPI::Instruction objects one would need to compile code either for the old or the new version of library?  What was the reason for changing to passing by value?

-Will