[madPL] Fwd: Summer 2021 Internship in Compiler/Static Analysis at Microsoft

Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 14:13:01 -0500
From: "Loris D'Antoni" <loris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [madPL] Fwd: Summer 2021 Internship in Compiler/Static Analysis at Microsoft

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Sulekha Kulkarni <Sulekha.Kulkarni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 2:10 PM
To: LORIS D'ANTONI <loris@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Prof. DâAntoni,

My name is Sulekha Kulkarni and I am a Principal Software Engineering Lead at Microsoft working on the Checked C project. I am writing to you in the hope that you may know of mastersâ or PhD students who may be interested in our internship program. The details are given below. It will be great if you could forward this email to all students who may be interested.

Internship Summary:

This internship provides an opportunity to work on the Checked C project that aims to make programs more secure and reliable by ensuring their memory safety.

We are looking for currently enrolled PhD/MS(research-based) students in PL/Compilers/Static Analysis or closely related areas who have already taken a course in Compilers/Static Analysis and who have had at least a yearâs experience implementing research ideas or doing related development.

The internship involves implementing some parts of the Checked C language extension in the Checked C compiler based on clang/LLVM.ÂIt may also involve implementing static checking for Checked C, prototyping or implementing language features for static checking, and other aspects of the Checked C compiler implementation.

More details are present in the internship posting.

The Checked C Project:

The Checked C project is investigating how to improve the C programming language.ÂC and C++ are the languages of choice for system programming. Checked C is an extension to C that adds checking to detect or prevent common programming errors like unsafe typecasts, null dereferences and illegal memory accesses caused by buffer overflows. Checked C does this by allowing a programmer to specify bounds for arrays and pointers that are then checked. A programmer specifies bounds on the range of memory locations that can be legally accessed by each array or pointer, using program variables. The Checked C compiler ensures that all accesses to memory through these array and pointer variables honor the programmer-specified bounds. Checked C is particularly useful in dealing with legacy C code. The design of Checked C allows one to incrementally convert code in C that may potentially be insecure and vulnerable into secure code in Checked C. Partially converted C code is still a valid Checked C program. A novel aspect of the Checked C extension is that it incorporates extensive static checking into the language definition. More information on Checked C can be found atÂhttps://github.com/Microsoft/checkedc.

For more details, please reach out to Sulekha.Kulkarni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Thank you,

Sulekha Kulkarni

-Loris