[pl-seminar] SPIN practice talks Monday 6/15 at 10 am

Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 14:05:30 -0500
From: Nicholas Kidd <kidd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] SPIN practice talks Monday 6/15 at 10 am
On Monday 6/15 at 10am in room 3310,
there will be two back-to-back practice talks for SPIN 2009.
The format is a 25 minute presentation followed by 5 minutes for questions.

Title   :  Symbolic Analysis via Semantic Reinterpretation

Authors :  Junghee Lim, Akash Lal, and Thomas Reps

Abstract:
The paper presents a novel technique to create implementations of the basic primitives used in symbolic program analysis: forward symbolic evaluation, weakest liberal precondition, and symbolic composition. We used the technique to create a system in which, for the cost of writing just one specification—an interpreter for the programming language of interest—one obtains automaticallygenerated, mutually-consistent implementations of all three symbolic-analysis primitives. This can be carried out even for languages with pointers and address arithmetic. Our implementation has been used to generate symbolic-analysis primitives for x86 and PowerPC.

Title : A Decision Procedure for Detecting Atomicity Violations for Communicating Processes with Locks

Authors :  Nicholas Kidd, Peter Lammich, Tayssir Touili and Thomas Reps

Abstract:
We present a new decision procedure for detecting property violations in pushdown models for concurrent programs that use lock-based synchronization, where each thread’s lock operations are properly nested (a la synchronized methods in Java). The technique detects violations expressed as indexed phase automata (PAs)—a class of non-deterministic finite automata in which the only loops are self-loops. Our interest in PAs stems from their ability to capture atomic-set serializability violations. (Atomic-set serializability is a relaxation of atomicity to only a user-specified set of memory locations.) We implemented the decision procedure and applied it to detecting atomic-set-serializability violations in models of concurrent Java programs. Compared with a prior method based on a semi-decision procedure, not only was the decision procedure 7.5X faster overall, but the semi-decision procedure timed out on about 68% of the queries versus 4% for the decision procedure.

Nick