[pl-seminar] [Fwd: CCF Research Opportunities]

Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 16:26:02 -0500
From: Thomas Reps <reps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] [Fwd: CCF Research Opportunities]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: CCF Research Opportunities
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 13:27:35 -0700
From: Jim Larus <larus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: reps@xxxxxxxxxxx <reps@xxxxxxxxxxx>

mslogo_black

Dear Tom,

Once again, I would like to ask your assistance in informing outstanding students about opportunities at Microsoft Research.

As many of you know, a year ago, I joined a new group in Microsoft Research that Dan Reed started to improve Microsoft’s Cloud Computing platform—both hardware and software. Cloud Computing Futures (CCF) is re-thinking the hardware, systems and software, and applications that comprise the next revolution in software development. It is a great research opportunity for people who are interested in large, challenging projects that do not fit neatly into a single academic discipline and who want to see their ideas influence the future of computing.

CCF has been growing slowly, but we recently received additional head count. Unfortunately, we got these positions very late in the academic season and missed most of the recruiting process. I realize this has been an unusual and difficult year for many students looking for a job, and it may be possible that your or your colleagues’ students have not yet found long-term research positions. If you know anyone in that situation, or any students graduating during the coming academic year, please let them know that CCF is recruiting top researchers in areas such as programming languages, programming tools, operating systems, distributed systems, and computer architecture.

Microsoft Research (MSR) offers an unparalleled opportunity to conduct innovative and cutting-edge research and to see research results improve the software used by most of the world. Microsoft Research’s agenda combines world-class research together with our academic colleagues with a unique opportunity to put ideas into practice by working with Microsoft product groups. Researchers at MSR have an unequalled opportunity to conduct fundamental research with few resource constraints and, at the same time, to influence and improve software development for the world’s largest software company and its customers.

If you or your students have questions or would like further information, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Jim Larus

larus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://research.microsoft.com/~larus

425-706-2981

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/labs/ccf/default.aspx

P.S. We are also very interested in senior researchers in these areas, either for full-time positions or sabbatical visits.

--
Thomas Reps
Professor