[pl-seminar] Cindy's practice talk

Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 14:21:52 -0500
From: Steve Jackson <sjackso@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] Cindy's practice talk
The PL seminar meets on Thursday afternoon. This is Cindy's practice talk for PLDI; please come and give her feedback!

Title: Error Propagation Analysis for File Systems
Thursday May 14th, 4:00pm, Room 3310 CS

Abstract
Unchecked errors are especially pernicious in operating system file management code. Transient or permanent hardware failures are inevitable, and error-management bugs at the file system layer can cause silent, unrecoverable data corruption. We propose an interprocedural static analysis that tracks errors as they propagate through file system code. Our implementation detects overwritten, out- of-scope, and unsaved unchecked errors. Analysis of four widely-used Linux file system implementations (CIFS, ext3, IBM JFS and ReiserFS), a relatively new file system implementation (ext4), and shared virtual file system (VFS) code uncovers 312 error propagation bugs. Our flow- and context-sensitive approach produces more precise results than related techniques while providing better diagnostic information, including possible execution paths that demonstrate each bug found.

This is joint work with Haryadi S. Gunawi, Ben Liblit, Remzi H. Arpaci- Dusseau, and Andrea C. Arpaci-Dusseau.

This is a practice talk for PLDI 2009.