[pl-seminar] Talk Reminder

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 10:33:06 -0600
From: Nick Kidd <kidd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] Talk Reminder
4:00 pm, 3310
Programming Languages Seminar: Nicholas Kidd, University of Wisconsin, "Model
   Checking Concurrent C Programs"
85% of the system crashes in Windows XP are caused by bugs in device drivers. Because of the difficultly involved with kernel programming, better static analysis tools are needed for program verification. Better tools will catch bugs earlier in the development cycle which in turn can save thousands of dollars in development costs. To this end, we have developed a tool for model checking concurrent C programs. Our tool is able to handle: (1) data ranging over very large domains, (2) (recursive) procedure calls, and (3) concurrent parallel components that communicate via synchronizing actions. We model such programs using communicating pushdown systems, and reduce the reachability problem for this model to deciding the emptiness of the inter- section of two context-free languages L1 and L2. We tackle this undecidable problem using a CounterExample Guided Abstraction Refinement (CEGAR) scheme. Our tool is implemented in the model checker MAGIC and found a previously unknown bug in a model of a Windows NT Bluetooth driver. This is joint work
   with Sagar Chaki, Edmund Clarke, Thomas Reps, and Tayssir Touili.