[pl-seminar] Arch seminar next Tuesday

Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 13:17:03 -0600
From: Will Benton <willb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pl-seminar] Arch seminar next Tuesday
I'll be giving a talk at the architecture seminar next Tuesday (3/7), and I'd be thrilled to get some fellow PL folks involved in the discussion. The talk is in 1221 CS at 4PM. Title and abstract are below, or see the architecture seminar page:

    http://www.cs.wisc.edu/arch/uwarch/seminar/seminar_s06.html

thanks,
wb

Title:  Statically identifying implicit module-level parallelism
Abstract:
Currently available multi-core microprocessors offer hardware support for concurrent workloads, but writing parallel programs is still as hard as ever. My thesis research is concerned with exploiting the modular structure of Java programs in order to automatically find independent tasks. In this talk, I describe a simple type-based analysis that statically identifies a conservative estimate of the memory locations that are modified by a given program fragment. I then show how to improve the precision of this analysis by extending Java's type system with compiler- supplied annotations that encode information about potential aliasing relationships. A parallelizing compiler or JVM can leverage the results of this analysis to determine whether or not the side effects of two program fragments are independent -- and, thus, whether those two fragments may be safely executed concurrently. The program decomposition technique I propose does not rely on any specialized hardware support and is complementary to proposed work involving speculative execution and transactional memory.
This is joint work with Charles Fischer.