Re: [HTCondor-users] A job which depends on an other job finish

Hi Martin,

This would not be possible to do via just submit description because jobs have no way of getting information about other jobs. Even if you give a job information about another (i.e. job id) the job has no method of finding out the others current information like job state. Some external thing needs to do this management. That is the reason for DAGMan. On a very boiled down look, all DAGMan is doing is watching the log events for jobs and running subsequent jobs in the correct order when termination events occur.

-Cole Bollig

From: HTCondor-users <htcondor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Martin Sajdl <masaj.xxx@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2023 4:38 AM
To: HTCondor-Users Mail List <htcondor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [HTCondor-users] A job which depends on an other job finish

Hi All,

I need to run two jobs in a kind of sequence where the second one (B)
should start when the first one (A) is complete. I know about DAG
feature, but for some reasons I cannot use it (version 8.8 where python
binding does not support DAG, the "dependency scheme" or DAG is not
known at time the first job is submitted).
I know ID of A job when submitting B job.
My idea is to submit B job in hold state and run a task in our internal
monitoring script in parallel which will wait till A job finishes, then
release B job. I think it should work, but it requires the special
task/script for waiting, so I am curious if there is an ability to set
such dependency directly into the job submit description?
Maybe something like:

periodic_release = ???

Thank you in advance for any hint!
Martin