Re: [HTCondor-users] Support for ambient credentials in built-in S3 plugin

I wrote a transfer plugin using the Python AWS SDK that has worked for us
since the 8.8 series (before native S3 support was introduced) and Iʼll
continue using that until we upgrade past 9.7.x (when I think the new file
transfer spec was introduced) and I have to update it to follow the new
spec;

I would like to deprecate the single-file (old) plug-in spec, but I don't think we have yet.

FWIW: I also think it's reasonable for this use case to simply assume the existence of the "aws" or "gcloud" command line utilities in the PATH and put a shell script into src/condor_scripts to bake this feature in. If the HTCondor team is open to that idea, I'd be willing to (in time) develop one.

My suggestion was going to be to write two plug-ins doing exactly this, but name them something other than "s3". Perhaps 'ambients3' and 'ambientgs'? The HTCondor team would be happy to accept such plug-ins as contributions. Such a plug-in could even check, in its handling of `-classad`, if it had been configured on a machine without the tooling and/or the required metadata server.

- ToddM