Re: [HTCondor-users] How to find out CPU affinity from schedd plugin

On 2/13/23 07:46, Joachim Meyer wrote:
Hi,

Is there a way to assign CPU cores and get the information which cores are
assigned from within a condor_schedd plugin? So far it seems to me that the
assigned CPU cores are not reported back to the schedd in some classad?

Hi Joachim:

There are controls in HTCondor to affinity-lock jobs to cpu cores -- see the ASSIGN_CPU_AFFINITY setting in https://htcondor.readthedocs.io/en/latest/admin-manual/configuration-macros.html?highlight=ASSIGN_CPU_AFFINITY#condor-starter-configuration-file-entries

But, there is a reason this is not on by default. While locking jobs to specific cores may sometimes improve performance for that job, it can also lower the overall throughput of the system.

What are the specific performance counts per job that you are interested in? I wonder if there is a better way to more directly capture these?

-greg

We're using HTCondor 9.12 right now.

Thanks for any pointers!
- Joachim