Re: [Condor-users] about condor_submit in condor-g

Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:23:18 -0600 (CST)
From: Jaime Frey <jfrey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Condor-users] about condor_submit in condor-g
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Carson Hung wrote:

> I succeeded in queuing up the jobs in a local machine with condor_schedd.
>
> However, May I ask a question on how to submit a job from a remote machine
> to local machine?
>
> I have checked the condor_submit command. It has an option called -r which
> takes in remote schedd name. However, How can I set the schedd name in
> local machine? and how can remote machine knows this schedd name?

First, for remote submission to work, you need to have a collector
running. The collector is where the Condor daemons advertise themeselves
so that they can be found by others.

Assuming everything is set up correctly, you should be able to run
'condor_status -schedd' from the remote machine and see your schedd listed
in the output. The string under the Name heading (which may be truncated)
is what you use with condor_submit -r. By default, schedds running as root
or condor are named after their hostname. Schedds running as a user are
named <username>@<hostname>. You can set a schedd's name with SCHEDD_NAME
in the config file. This is handy if you want to run multiple schedds on
the same machine.

Be aware that condor_submit -r doesn't transfer any of the job's files
from the remote to the local machine. If you want to do that, you need to
use condor_submit -s. However, condor_submit -s has problems with schedds
running as root, which we're currently working to fix.

|            Jaime Frey            |  Public Split on Whether        |
|        jfrey@xxxxxxxxxxx         |  Bush Is a Divider              |
|  http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~jfrey/  |         -- CNN Scrolling Banner |