Re: [HTCondor-devel] new name for MaxJobRetirementTime

Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2018 10:12:16 -0500 (CDT)
From: Todd L Miller <tlmiller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-devel] new name for MaxJobRetirementTime
It sounds like you are aware that the expression can renege on its promise by containing a factor that zeroes the whole thing out in some conditions.  And you are correct that the draining policy does not accommodate such a policy.  That was intentional, but perhaps the ramifications were not fully digested, or perhaps the intention was to not rely on shifty expressions that zero themselves out but rather to introduce a first class policy mechanism for interrupting retirement.

Thanks for the insights, Dan. The issue at hand isn't really interrupting retirement so much as preventing the job from entering retirement in the first place -- if we're putting the job on hold because it's misbehaving, we don't want to give it any more time to misbehave. We presently don't have a first-class way to express that.

Having said that, even if we did, we _would_ still need a first-class mechanism for interrupting retirement (because the job may start misbehaving in retirement). It's not immediately clear, however, that anyone would actually want to be more tolerant of retirees than other jobs (retiring is scheduling state, not a job state), and so it may make more sense to have the first-class "self-protection" expressions just be universally effective.

- ToddM