Re: [HTCondor-devel] new name for MaxJobRetirementTime

Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2018 09:26:07 -0500
From: Greg Thain <gthain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-devel] new name for MaxJobRetirementTime
On 06/06/2018 07:54 PM, Dan Bradley wrote:
And you are correct that the draining policy does not accommodate such a policy. That was intentional, but perhaps the ramifications were not fully digested, or perhaps the intention was to not rely on shifty expressions that zero themselves out but rather to introduce a first class policy mechanism for interrupting retirement.

Dan:

It's always good to hear from you! FWIW, the particular problem that set this off was the fact that PREEMPT (meaning evict) honors MaxJobRetirementTime. Generally speaking, if we want to PREEMPT jobs because they are over some resource limit, we want that to happen right away, and not honor MJRT. So, we can hack up the PREEMPT expression to reset MJRT back to zero, but this doesn't work as expected in the draining case.

-greg