Re: [HTCondor-devel] Contributing to HTCondor (GCE_GAHP)

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 09:52:47 -0500
From: Brian Bockelman <bbockelm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-devel] Contributing to HTCondor (GCE_GAHP)

On Jul 25, 2016, at 10:44 PM, Doug Strain <dstrain@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

My name is Doug Strain.  I used to work with the Open Science Grid under Alain Roy and with the GlideinWMS team.  I now work with Google and am interested in getting Condor to work (better) with GCE.

Heâs a witch!

(Hi Doug.  Hi Paul.  Nice to hear from you again.  Hope Google is treating you well!)

I was wondering if I could either get access to the HTCondor revision control system as well as someone to help me shepherd code changes into Condor (make sure I am not missing anything and conforming to standards, etc).

My commits would be mostly confined to the gce_gahp directory in order to improve condor/GCE connectivity.

Please let me know if you need any more information or would like any clarification.  I would be happy to provide it.

Hereâs the relevant wiki page:

https://htcondor-wiki.cs.wisc.edu/index.cgi/wiki?p=MakingContributions

The important thing is to sign the CLA (yay, you get to meet your friendly company lawyers!) and getting an account on the gittrac so you can file tickets and whatnot.

I find the process of posting patches to tickets really archaic and impossible for code reviews.  Personally, I commit to a branch in the repo and have someone look at it before merging.  Since you likely wonât have commit access, for large features, I would recommend putting in a pull request (https://github.com/htcondor/htcondor).  HTCondor *doesnât* use the github workflow, but itâll be easier for another dev to merge things in that way.

In terms of folks who can help you, itâll probably be Jaime Frey.

Brian