Re: [HTCondor-devel] Chirp.jar support

Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 11:23:52 -0500
From: Brian Bockelman <bbockelm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-devel] Chirp.jar support
On May 14, 2013, at 11:21 AM, Jaime Frey <jfrey@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On May 14, 2013, at 8:15 AM, Brian Bockelman <bbockelm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Does Chirp.jar have any support?
>>
>> In particular, we keep a binary version in our repo with no instructions on how to rebuild it.  I would propose, if it is supported, we rearrange the source so we can at least rebuild things.
>>
>> In the source comments, it is indicated we have some platforms where we would like to support the Java universe but do not have a Java compiler available.  Is this still true?
>>
>> Ran into this while working on #3353.
>

> The source files used to create Chirp.jar are sitting next to it the HTCondor source tree. Recreating the jar file from those should be easy.
>
> Hmm. Dan Bradley fixed a bug in ChirpInputStream.java in 2009, but Chirp.jar never got rebuilt to include it.

:) Yeah, I figured something like that might happen.

To recreate the JAR, you want to create the appropriate sub-directories (according to package name), copy the source files into the sub-directory, call javac, and then jar.  Seems like a lot when you could just have CMake do it for you.

What about my other question - are there any supported platforms which don't have a Java compiler in NMI?

Brian