Re: [HTCondor-devel] idle thoughts: json as classads

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 12:38:40 -0700
From: Alain Roy <alain.roy@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-devel] idle thoughts: json as classads
On Jun 25, 2013, at 11:19 AM, Erik Paulson <epaulson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If we flipped the meaning of '[]' and '{}' in ClassAds, and allowed colons as an assignment operator*, and maybe checked the different string escapes, would every JSON object automatically be a ClassAd?

Maybe, but you couldn't easily express every ClassAd as a JSON object. Attribute references, expressions, and functions are all challenges.

On Jun 25, 2013, at 11:33 AM, Erik Paulson <epaulson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> C++ is a pain in the ass to use in many environments (for example, the browser)

I think the point is that you can do the conversion in different places. If you want to give Condor a shiny new REST-ful interface and build a UI in Javascript, you could have a frontend that converts a JSON-ClassAd to a classic ClassAd and vice-versa. It doesn't necessarily have to be in the core ClassAd library. (Though the idea is nifty.)

-alain