Re: [Condor-devel] github revisited.

As promised, the pad notes are captured below.

Additionally, the idea of incremental steps is popular.

If anyone wants to try out github just setup an account at,

	https://github.com/signup/free

I've also -
 . setup a backup of the github repository in AFS
 . setup a mirror of the github repository suitable for use by gittrac
 . setup a simple Org at github to explore account management
 . setup the github IRC bot to send information to #distcomp
 .. it should also be possible to integrate condorbot

If you have a github account and want to toy with the Org interface, just send me your details.

Things left to explore -
 . demonstrate ability of NMI to build from github (remote URL change)
 . ability to notify upon illegal actions (devel -> stable merges)
 . interaction with security embargo policy (waiting to see the policy)

I'll check back during FW next Monday to see what exploration has happened and ideas have gestated.

Best,

matt

=== http://sync.in/FzqZA01IVA ===

iWho: Todd, Greg, Jaime, Alan, Tim, Rob, Matt, TJ, Dan, Nate, Zach, Sam, Brooklin, Brian, Ian
What -
 . Host canonical Condor Project repository at github.com
What not -
 . Migrating from gittrac to github
Why -
 . Request from the community
 . Setup to enhance openness and inclusiveness of the project
 . Enhance visibility of project in developer community
 . Benefit from enhanced workflow techniques discovered in the community
 .. Specifically pull-requests can be valuable
 . Utilize development and community tools
Obstacles -
 . Technical -
 .. NMI - builds from github?
 .. gittrac - trac github repository?
 .. backups - backup from github?
 .. embargo branches - visibility control?
 .. repository hooks
 ... commit rejection - devel -> stable merge?
 ... condorbot
 . Process -
 .. github stability
 .. Account management
 ... account owners/admin
 ... add/remove committers
 . Others -
 .. ??
 .. Additional workload of managing potentially more patches/pull-requests
Greg - incremental steps?
===