[Condor-devel] What to do with .gitignore?

Hi git experts,

What do you folks do with .gitignore?  The fact that the default one doesn't filter out build artifacts drives me nuts, as "git status" is useless mostly.

I sometimes keep mine up-to-date in my work area, but "git diff" shows the additions I made to .gitignore.  In response, I got in the habit of doing "git diff src" ... which then meant I forgot to commit changes to the build/ directory!

Any pro-tips for getting "git status" working again?  Alternately, would someone care if I committed a .gitignore that took out build artifacts?

Thanks,

Brian