Re: [Condor-devel] Proposed changes to tarball and native package names

Is it actually important that the git hash is in the name, or just that it's easily discoverable?

You could put it in the meta data probably the description field in RPM) so that "rpm -q" (and the deb equivalent) print information that includes the git hash.

-alain

On Jan 9, 2012, at 4:53 PM, Scot Kronenfeld wrote:
> Brian,
> We've tossed out the idea of including the git hash in the file names, but:
> a) it's not monotonically increasing, so it can't be used as the
> version.  You worked around that by also including the build number.
> b) we worried it is too long - at least without trimming.  I assume
> you don't want to see an RPM named:
> condor-7.7.5-0.b24406.6c8f0737e62a145b3ed074d48ace82996beecaa0.rhel5.x86_64.rpm
>
> I'm ok with the development versions having a trimmed hash if you
> would find it useful.
>
> -scot
>
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Brian Bockelman <bbockelm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Scot,
>>
>> Why don't we do something more standard for pre-releases:
>>
>> condor-<X.Y.Z>-0.<release>.git.<git hash>
>>
>> where <release> is a monotonically increasing number (may be build number, I suppose).
>>
>> However, I'd strongly prefer this not be done for the final build, just to not clutter up the package number.
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> On Jan 6, 2012, at 4:42 PM, Scot Kronenfeld wrote:
>>
>>> I am planning to rename the tarballs and native packages that we
>>> distribute.  Here is the proposed name format:
>>>
>>> condor-<X.Y.Z>-1.b<NMI Build ID>.<extension>
>>>
>>> For example:
>>> condor-7.7.5-1.b24243.i686.rpm
>>> condor-7.7.5-1.b24243.deb_6.0_amd64.deb