Re: [Condor-devel] Proposed changes to tarball and native package names

On Jan 9, 2012, at 4:53 PM, Scot Kronenfeld wrote:

> Brian,
> We've tossed out the idea of including the git hash in the file names, but:
> a) it's not monotonically increasing, so it can't be used as the
> version.  You worked around that by also including the build number.
> b) we worried it is too long - at least without trimming.  I assume
> you don't want to see an RPM named:
> condor-7.7.5-0.b24406.6c8f0737e62a145b3ed074d48ace82996beecaa0.rhel5.x86_64.rpm

Oh yeah, you definitely need the trimmed hash.

> I'm ok with the development versions having a trimmed hash if you
> would find it useful.

I think having build + hash will be very convenient for pre-release versions - it'll be monotonically increasing (making NMI happy) and refer to a specific place in the source code (making devs happy).

Still - for (non-daily) tagged builds, we should drop any extensions and just do "condor-7.7.5".  Adding the build number in release would just be confusing for external folks.

Brian

> -scot
>
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Brian Bockelman <bbockelm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Scot,
>>
>> Why don't we do something more standard for pre-releases:
>>
>> condor-<X.Y.Z>-0.<release>.git.<git hash>
>>
>> where <release> is a monotonically increasing number (may be build number, I suppose).
>>
>> However, I'd strongly prefer this not be done for the final build, just to not clutter up the package number.
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> On Jan 6, 2012, at 4:42 PM, Scot Kronenfeld wrote:
>>
>>> I am planning to rename the tarballs and native packages that we
>>> distribute.  Here is the proposed name format:
>>>
>>> condor-<X.Y.Z>-1.b<NMI Build ID>.<extension>
>>>
>>> For example:
>>> condor-7.7.5-1.b24243.i686.rpm
>>> condor-7.7.5-1.b24243.deb_6.0_amd64.deb