Re: [Condor-devel] sorting of groups in negotiation cycle

On 5/23/11 1:25 PM, Brian Bockelman wrote:
On May 23, 2011, at 1:18 PM, Erik Erlandson wrote:

On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 13:08 -0500, Brian Bockelman wrote:

Does the negotiator correctly compute the number of weighted slots?  We hit that issue locally - starvation was occurring because the negotiator thought there was about 1,000 extra slots and it way-overallocated some groups.  Until the sorting is implemented, this is one way to approach things.

Hi Brian,

By default, the negotiator uses the weighted slot totals as its starting
point for computing quotas.  If you'd prefer that to not happen, you can
configure:

NEGOTIATOR_USE_SLOT_WEIGHTS = FALSE

Yeah - but that's only with slot weights.  What if you happen to have too many slots (i.e., some sites throw in a per-node management slot)?  This can be enough to cause starvation.

Just to be clear here. Do we believe there is actually a problem with slot weights != 1? Or are we just talking about the more general problem of starvation in an inhomogeneous pool where people early in the cycle get their hands on the most desired slots before other less lucky people get a chance?

In addition to the GROUP_DYNAMIC_MACH_CONSTRAINT knob that Brian mentioned, another approach is to use the new, equally undocumented GROUP_QUOTA_ROUND_ROBIN_RATE. The latter may help in cases where you truly have inhomogeneous slots, not just a set of special-purpose slots that are rarely under contention.

--Dan