Re: [Condor-devel] how to merge manual

On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 10:47:19PM -0500, Nathan Panike wrote:
> And you only get conflicts if you and another team member have made changes
> to the same part of a document or code.

That's not true.

For example, if I want to do: V7_6_0-branch -> V7_6-branch -> master

And I do it this way, which is our recommended way:

git branch status
* V7_6_0-branch
git pull
git push origin V7_6_0-branch
git checkout V7_6-branch
git pull
git merge V7_6_0-branch [no conflicts]
git push origin V7_6-branch
LABEL_A
git checkout master
git merge V7_6-branch [BOOM! Conflicts in the src through my fault or other.]
fix conflicts, retest, could take hours.
git add (piles of crap)
git commit -m "Merged V7_6-branch into master"
git pull
git push origin master

Now, suppose Karen, through dumb luck, wants to do a doc merge of V7_6-branch
to master at the LABEL_A time step.

Now she gets src conflicts that she had nothing to do with and gets
very angry.

This happens about once every 5 merge sequences I do. Mostly because
people don't do the merge sequence properly. But, I've hit LABEL_A
legitimately as a race condition (more than a dozen times at least)
with someone taking a while to fix the merge conflict and I happen to
perform the merge sequence and it the exact same conflict.  Then both
of us are trying to solve the merge conflict, causing more conflicts!

-pete