Re: [Condor-devel] file tranfer type

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 05:18:53PM -0600, Zachary Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 04:02:49PM -0600, Jiansheng Huang wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I work on the new version of quill (quillpp as we call it). After the
> > schema meeting with Todd and Greg, we decided to add a column to the
> > transfers table to record the transfer type. But I am not sure what data
> > type is the best to use for the column? a string or a number? Would anyone
> > with expertise on file transfering throw in some suggestions here?
>
> i wasn't at the meeting, so i can't really comment on the intended meaning for
> the "transfer_type."  i do have some other suggestions, which maybe you already
> discussed, or are possibly overkill, but updating the schema is (hopefully)
> not something you do often so you may wish to include these extra fields now
> even if they are not being used.

Well, we had talked about it being used as either an indicator of a
regular file transfer or an X509 delegation. Looking through the code,
there is this:

    enum TransferType { NoType, DownloadFilesType, UploadFilesType };

which has nothing to do with delegation - instead the delegation
looks to be a seperate flag, and not a "transfer type".

<...>

> furthermore, if you support some of these methods, you'll need a credential.
> ftp has a username and password, gsiftp has a certificate, etc.  maybe you
> should add a src_credential and dst_credential BLOB or whatever that each
> protocol could use to store it's authentication information in whatever
> format it needs.

Well, we wouldn't want to store the actual credential, but instead some
sort of fingerprint or credential id.

-Erik