RE: [Condor-devel] Installation issues.

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Alain Roy wrote:

<snip>
> Don't - we're taking condor_install out of the distribution soon.

That's too bad - it worked flawlessly.  In particular, it made
modifications to the global config file (not just the local config file)
during the installation process.  IMHO this is really, really important.

We want to make condor_configure do the same thing.

condor_install confuses people: it asks tons of questions that people don't know how to answer.

Just to add my 2 cents worth: we really like condor_install and have found condor_configure impossible to use.

I've lost track of the number of installations of Condor I've had to go and fix because someone misused condor_configure, whilst I've never had to do that with condor_install (possibly because the defaults are fairly sensible).

I've found that with a very small amount of guidance people can use condor_install correctly, and what's more, all the descriptive text it provides gives them some handle on what is going on.

condor_configure, by contrast, has been found difficult to use by everyone over here who's tried it, and one of the key points in feedback as to why this is so is that they have *no* idea what it is doing or why it is doing it. In addition, its error messages are confusing and less than helpful.

I have tried giving people condor_configure and the relevant section of the manual (and no guidance form myself) and also similarly with condor_install. The results have always been that those using condor_install were fine, those using condor_configure had problems (sometimes minor problems, but problems nonetheless).

I think you are making a mistake to get rid of condor_install, and I think it will make the life of people who have to support other people's Condor installations (like I do) more difficult.

I think that decisions about the "user interface" of an installation process of a product should always be made on the basis of user trials and user feedback, and, crucially, validated by further user trials. Obviously I believe from my own limited user trials that you are either not doing this or doing this on a set of users very different from mine (which I would find odd).

-- Bruce