[Gems-users] Ruby/Opal Load Error

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 02:56:44 -0500
From: Michael Zhen WANG <zhen.wang@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Ruby/Opal Load Error
Hi,

I currently have some problem loading Ruby/Opal. I found that there are quite a lot different load errors related to "undefined symbol". But few are in my case.

I use: Simics 3.0.31; GEMS 2.1.1; gcc 3.4.5 (originally, I had GCC 4.2.0 not found error for loading Ruby. I followed the instruction on https://lists.cs.wisc.edu/archive/gems-users/2009-July/msg00016.shtml and downgraded libstdc++6 to the specified one. Then GCC 4.2.0 error was gone. But I got the below errors afterwards.)

Here are the actions I performed after starting simics (I basically follow the quick start instructions on GEMS wiki):

simics> read-configuration ../../../checkpoints/bagle-common_4p_4Gm.check (bagle5-suse73, UltraSPARCII, 4 processor 4G memory setting; should be OK as it's SPARC)
Warning: Cannot convert string "nil2" to type FontStruct
xterm:  unable to open font "6x10", trying "fixed"....
(I'm using SSH connecting to some server running simics and Xming for displaying console, shouldn't be related to Ruby/Opal)

simics> instruction-fetch-mode instruction-fetch-trace
[cpu0 info] Note that on this cpu, instruction-fetch-trace is implemented using instruction-cache-access-trace with a suitable cache line size.
[cpu1 info] Note that on this cpu, instruction-fetch-trace is implemented using instruction-cache-access-trace with a suitable cache line size.
[cpu4 info] Note that on this cpu, instruction-fetch-trace is implemented using instruction-cache-access-trace with a suitable cache line size.
[cpu5 info] Note that on this cpu, instruction-fetch-trace is implemented using instruction-cache-access-trace with a suitable cache line size.
simics> istc-disable
Turning I-STC off and flushing old data
simics> dstc-disable
Turning D-STC off and flushing old data
simics> cpu-switch-time 1
The switch time will change to 1 cycles (for CPU-0) once all processors have synchronized.
simics> load-module ruby
Error loading module 'ruby': Failed to load module 'ruby' ('/home/MichaelZhenWANG/gems/simics_3_workspace/x86-linux/lib/ruby.so'): "undefined symbol: ruby_session_set"
simics> load-module opal
Error loading module 'opal': Failed to load module 'opal' ('/home/MichaelZhenWANG/gems/simics_3_workspace/x86-linux/lib/opal.so'): "undefined symbol: _Z20initvar_dispatch_setPvP11conf_objectP10attr_valueS3_"

For opal load error, someone said we can always solve this by migrating functions in cache.c to cache.h. But I didn't find any symbol "
_Z20initvar_dispatch_setPvP11conf_objectP10attr_valueS3_" in cache.c. So can it really solve this error? If we need to migrate functions to cache.h, can I just copy the whole file in cache.c to cache.h?
For Ruby load error, someone had this problem a few years ago. But it's either not solved or solved by reinstalling everything. Is there any suggestion on this?

Thanks
-Zhen
Zhen WANG
Ph.D. Student