Re: [Gems-users] L2 cache miss actions

Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 10:41:49 -0400
From: Greg Byrd <gbyrd@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] L2 cache miss actions
I'm sure you can schedule a hap on the Simics side that triggers every million cycles (if you are talking about processor cycles), and the callback for that hap can be used to invoke the Ruby method that you want. You can also schedule an event in a Ruby component with latency one million (Ruby cycles), which might be easier.

...Greg

Konstantinos Nikas wrote:
Hi Mike,

thanks for the suggestion. I managed to record the information I wanted but now I am stuck at another point :-) .

What I want to do is make Ruby call a specific method (which is going to look into the L2 cache and do some tricks) every 1 million cycles. However I am not sure how I am supposed to do that, since (if I have understood it correctly) Ruby does not simulate every single cycle, but instead wakes up whenever there is an event from the processor.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards,

Kostis