Re: [DynInst_API:] DynInst Overhead

Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 14:13:58 -0500
From: Bill Williams <bill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [DynInst_API:] DynInst Overhead
On 07/21/2014 01:59 PM, Buddhika Chamith Kahawitage Don wrote:
Please find my responses inline.

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 1:48 PM, Bill Williams <bill@xxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:bill@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 07/21/2014 11:52 AM, Matthew LeGendre wrote:

        Presumably you're running the CodeCoverage tool in two steps: 1)
        Rewriting the binary 2) Running the rewritten binary.  All of the
        analysis/rewriting overheads are in step 1, and the instrumentation
        overhead can be measured just by timing step 2.

That's true.

        If you're getting 50x overhead on just step 2 then something's very
        wrong. I've got my own codeCoverage tool (which I unfortunately
        can't
        share yet) and I only see 10% overhead.

    Hrm. If this is with a prebuilt, statically linked binary and not
    with a build from source against current Dyninst, we may also be
    hitting traps in an inner loop. That's more the right order of
    magnitude than trampguards would be--trampguards would be in the
    1.5-5x sort of neighborhood off the top of my head.

In fact that was the use case I had in my mind. But I was just checking
the static rewriting case first up since it was readily available with
code-coverage tool.

Sorry, I meant a statically linked version of the CodeCoverage tool; apologies for the confusion.

    The source for CodeCoverage (which you can build against the latest
    Dyninst and be reasonably sure of *not* hitting traps in almost all
    of SPEC) is in our tools.git repository. I know we've fixed some
    performance regressions that turned up between the AWAT paper and 8.1.2.

I am using dyninst 8.1.2 which I built from source.

Then yes, it's probably trap overhead, and 8.2 should fix it--I believe h264 was on the list of benchmarks that had a performance regression that we've fixed for the current release.

If you set DYNINST_DEBUG_SPRINGBOARD=1 in your environment and send me the output of the rewriting pass with that enabled, I'll be able to confirm the cause (and status) of this problem.

        Just an educated guess--I frequently see big overheads
        associated with
        trampoline guards.  Dyninst should have realized trampoline
        guards are
        unnecessary for codeCoverage and not emited them.  But if
        something went
        wrong you can manually turn them off by putting a call to:

            bpatch.setTrampRecursive(true)__;

Tried it without any success :(

        Near the top of codeCoverage.C's main() function.  If that makes a
        difference then let the list know.  That implies there's a bug that
        should be investigated.

Any ideas on how to debug this?

Thanks
Bud